Saturday, June 25, 2011

The F. Paul Wilson Interview: Outtake (SPOILER ALERT!!!)

WARNING:  If you have NOT read Harbingers in the Repairman Jack series, DO NOT read the following question and subsequent answer.  It contains a GIGANTIC spoiler.  If you wish to read it, having been warned, please scroll down:




































The Accidental Author: I remember a point in the Repairman Jack series where Jack's impending fatherhood decidedly took a turn for the worse, and I remember being very disappointed.

FPW: [The pregnancy] was actually something I threw at myself. I can't remember whether it was in the outline stage or it just came to me. I simply had Gia tell him she was preggers, and I had no idea where I was going from there. I asked myself, “Do I want to do that?” Yeah. To keep the series from getting stale for me, I figured I'd just go with it. And from there, it became part of the story...a very big part of the story.

Then, I realized in the next novel, I had to deal with the question of how does [Jack] even become a father. He has no official existence. So that became a subplot that ran for a couple of books. And so it was a good thing. But then, I didn't see Gia with a baby in Nightworld. Without the baby present in Harbingers, I could have simply hurt Gia and Vicky. But with the baby in the story, there had to be a sacrifice.

It's strange. I'll be at a signing or a bookstore, and somebody will pick up Harbingers and say, “I've never read one of your books. Should I read this one?” And I'll say, “NO! NO! Do not read that one. Read any of the first nine, but do not read Harbingers until you've read the first nine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment